IHM Academic Integrity Policy
The Institute of Housing Management (IHM) provides a distance learning program encouraging the pursuit of knowledge in the field of Property Management. Academic integrity is a core value that supports this learning environment.
This Academic Integrity Policy provides students and instructors with a general outline of appropriate academic behaviour and identifies undesirable and prohibited academic conduct.
There may be circumstances where unacceptable academic behavior, including plagiarism or cheating, which will be subject to review and penalty.
Definitions of Plagiarism & Cheating
Cheating is an act of deceit, fraud, distortion of the truth, or improper use of another person's effort to obtain an academic advantage.
Plagiarism is the presentation of another person's or source's words and/or ideas as if they were one's own. It ranges from an entire assignment which is not the student's own work to specific passages within an assignment taken from a source without appropriate acknowledgement.
*Plagiarism: “is presenting work done (in whole or in part) by someone else as if it were one’s own and applies to all forms of student work” (Reference: Brock University Academic Integrity Policy, Page 25)
Copies of this policy are available on the IHM Website and will be provided to students when they register for a distance learning course.
It is the responsibilities of all IHM students to familiarize themselves with this policy.
IHM must abide by the Ontario Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) regulations and requirements regarding student conduct and personal information. This information is accessible to the IHM Education Committee Members, Executive Committee Members and IHM staff as required.
Students must have a clear understanding of the importance of academic integrity. If a student is unsure they should consult his/her instructor or the IHM Education Coordinator for clarification.
Students must exhibit the following desirable behaviours:
- Must complete their own work
- Ensure their work is not used inappropriately by others – protecting access to computer files and other academic work
- It is the responsibility of students and instructors to report all incidents of academic dishonesty and assist in the investigation as requested.
Academic misconduct includes submitting work intended to deceive the Instructor and/or IHM in an effort to achieve academic benefit.
- Conducting research using the internet and copying sentences into their own work without making appropriate references. (see plagiarism*)
- Copying another student’s work and then submitting the work under their own name
- Submission of work written in whole or in part by someone else
- Submission of the same work in whole or part in more than one course without the permission of the instructor
The penalty for each circumstance may vary, as specifics of each act may vary. Penalties may include the following:
- Written disciplinary warning
- Lower grade or failure on the assignment or exam
- Removal from the program of study
- Removal from the IHM Property Management Certificate Program
Communication of Penalty:
The Chairperson of the IHM Education Committee and/or the President of IHM will advise in writing of the penalty. The penalty shall come into effect immediately.
Right of Appeal of Penalty:
Any penalty may be appealed by the student within 30 days of the date of the letter informing the Student of the decision and/or penalty. The request for an appeal must be submitted in writing to IHM and a valid explanation and/or reason for seeking the appeal must be provided by the student. Requesting an appeal does not change the imposed penalty; however, the case will be reviewed by a formal IHM appeal committee whose decision will be binding.
Academic Misconduct Discipline Records
All related correspondence, statements and records shall be placed in the Student’s academic distance learning file and remain the property of IHM. These records will be retained for a minimum of 7 years.
Resource used in the creation of this IHM policy: Brock University Academic Integrity Policy & Capilano University, Cheating and Plagiarism Policy .